Jung Society of Atlanta Board Meeting (online via Zoom)

 9/20/2020, 2:00-4:30 pm

 

Present: Cathy Shepherd, President

Deb Herberger, Vice President

Peggy Sorrells, Library/Registration

Bruce Selvage, Membership

Van Waddy, CEU Coordinator

Zee Gilman, Volunteer Chair

Deborah Huntley, Chair of Programing Committee, Church Liaison, 

Don Huntley, Treasurer, A/V Coordinator, Website, Emails 

Bill Bridges, Books and Media

Nyambura Kihato, Secretary

 

Absent: Mahshid Irvani, Hospitality 

 

  • Deb opened the meeting with a blessing from the New Zealand Common Book of Prayer. Cathy called the meeting to order at 2:08 pm. 
  • Nyambura asked if there were any changes to be made to the previous minutes from 7/19/2020. Deborah and Deb H. had some revisions to make regarding the December meeting and new website respectively. Nyambura noted them and updated previous minutes to reflect those changes.
  • Zee forwarded a motion to approve minutes of 7/19/20, Van seconded, all were in favor. Minutes for 7/19/20 were approved.

 

Fanny Brewster web event 9/19/20

  • Cathy reviewed Fanny’s event last night and all board members agreed that it was a wonderful event, very healing and engaging. 
  • Cathy addressed Fanny’s concerns about her lecture being recorded and who it will be shared with. Deb H. said that Fanny’s style is more personal than a typical lecture format and this could be the source of her discomfort about recording personal material that is shared during the event. 
  • Deborah said she had informed Fanny that the event would be recorded. Peggy suggested creating a contract/agreement that says so in writing in order to make it clear and avoid confusion. The speaker could be reminded again at the beginning of the meeting, and Cathy or CJ could also make an announcement to inform participants that they will be recorded. Deborah agreed to contact Fanny and talk with her about her concerns.
  • Don said that when people pay for Zoom events, they expect to receive a recording to watch later. He explained that the Zoom link they receive cannot be downloaded, but the recording can be watched online. 

 

New website 

  • Cathy and Don agreed that getting the website up online and making sure members can log on before our next program is a priority. Members need to sign in to verify their membership so that they are charged correctly for programs. Zee said we should test the website first to make sure members can log in before we go live.
  • Don said he had trouble signing in the new website and his workload has been mounting. Solutions were explored, e.g. meeting with John Waddy, training CJ to do more of the Zoom work, using Eventbrite to automate the process, and having better communication between CJ and Don. Cathy asked if having CJ in our meetings would be useful, board members agreed. Cathy will invite CJ to our meetings, and will help set up a meeting with Don and CJ to collaborate on tasks. CJ can also help train board members to edit the new website. Bill offered to help with this training as needed. John can post instructional videos for us.
  • Don clarified that our website does not send out Zoom links for events. He has to do this manually, which is labor intensive. Cathy, Don, and Bill agreed that automatic Zoom confirmations should be discussed in the meeting with John. Bill said that nobody should get a Zoom link until they’ve paid for the event. Members can log in and select the $0 for free member events. 
  • Cathy thanked Bruce for uploading pictures. Bruce said a wider banner would include more pictures. Cathy said this could be discussed with John.

 

Deborah – Programs

  • Deborah confirmed that Noni Cullipher will be coming next month. Even though there are no CEUs, a lot of people have already responded. Virginia Apperson will introduce Noni. Virginia, Pete and Noni will all participate in the presentation; therefore, CJ needs to contact all three to help them through the event. Deborah clarified that Pete and Virginia will not be paid. 
  • Gary Sparks, our November speaker, has not been responding to Deborah’s attempts to contact him about his event. Deb H. suggested to try texting. Deborah said she will keep trying to reach him. Cathy added that if we don’t hear from him in the next two weeks, we will have to reschedule him to a later date. In the meantime, backups may be needed. Possibilities: Deborah suggested moving up Jeffrey Kiehl from next spring. Bruce offered to connect Deborah with Kiley Laughlin from CA, who has worked with Sonu Shamdasani and the Jung family on the Red Book, and may be willing to do a program on it. Deborah will follow up with Kiley. CEUs could be made available if the content is adjusted accordingly.
  • Bill needs the program details for our next event up on the new website so he can post a registration link for it on FB. Don said membership log ins and email addresses need to be resolved for this to happen.
  • Options for December speakers were discussed, including Hollis. Past speakers like Jacqueline West, Jerome Bernstein, Ann Ulanov, Becca Tarnas were suggested. Deborah said she can try to get Sonu Shamdasani’s contact from Hollis and see whether he could do an event. 
  • Deborah said we pay the lowest rates for speakers compared to other Jung societies. We need to consider increasing our rates. Some speakers get around $1500 for a 2-hour program. Deborah suggested for Zoom lectures, $400-$600 is reasonable. Board members agreed. Cathy made a motion to increase our speaker fees from $350 to between $400-$600, starting immediately. Bill seconded, all were in favor. Deborah will continue to negotiate speaker fees with presenters and consult with the board for approval as needed. 
  • Deborah raised a motion for the Jung Society to make a one time donation of $300 to Absalom Jones Center for Racial Justice and Healing. Zee seconded. All were in favor. Cathy will send a donation and thank you card for their participation in Fanny’s event. Deborah said that Fanny has offered to return for an in-person event post COVID-19.
  • Cathy suggested a program meeting to come up with speakers. It looks like our programs for next year  will continue to be on Zoom. 
  • It may be a good idea to have Hollis do an event in January 2021 as part of our membership drive. Deborah will check out his Zoom topics and follow up.

 

Mini treasurer’s report – Don

  • Don said we’re doing better than usual financially, especially since we no longer pay rent, which was a big expense. We made $2,000 for Fanny Brewster excluding CEU fees. 117 registered on Zoom, about 85 attended. Some from the church group attended for free. Many non-members are coming to our events.
  • Our budget for annual dues looks good. We are $2369 in the black. Even with the refund for Hollis ($-4415), we still made money, though not as much as usual.
  • Contributions to the society amounted $5565, with $5,000 from an anonymous donor. Don has been sending thank you notes to donors.
  • The monthly fee for Zoom plus cloud storage is about $150. Deb and Peggy asked if it would be possible to itemize Zoom separately from rental expenses.
  • The rental cost at the church for January and February was $,767. Cathy wondered if we really want to use the church going forward.
  • We talked about sending out postcards or flyers. Don said postcards were very expensive at a cost of $1,343. Deborah felt receiving our mailings helps keep the community more involved and engaged.
  • Half of the cost of the website ($4500) has been paid, balance will be paid later.
  • Don wondered where he should put Jutta’s donation for her event, totaling $665.
  • Vanguard holdings: $51746; checking account $8332.

 

Membership – Cathy

  • Cathy wondered why member engagement has been low, even though participation for events has been good overall.
  • Do we want to change membership dues? 
  • Cathy mentioned an offer from ARAS (Archive for Research in Archetypal Symbolism) to sell discounted membership to Jung Society members at $25 instead of their regular rate of $100. Advantages and disadvantages were discussed. Bill cautioned against sharing our member info with ARAS because that would expose our members to spam; also, ARAS would have access to our membership list. Cathy will contact ARAS to find out more about this offer. 

 

Nominating Committee – Cathy

  • Deb H will continue on from last year’s nominating committee; Bill and Zee volunteered to join her. All officers are changing. 
  • Cathy will announce the nominating committee at our October meeting; the slate of officers will be presented for voting on 11/14/2020.

 

Volunteers – Zee

  • Liam Gowen, one of the society’s active members, is interested in helping with publicity; Z will follow up with him, and he will be introduced at the next board meeting.

 

CEUs – Van

  • Van said that some members may be sharing an account with someone else, e.g. Pete Williams and Virginia, therefore, CEUs need to be sent out to attendees who participated and paid for CEUs, even if they may not show up on the attendee list.

 

The next board meeting was set for Sunday 11/01/2020 at 2 pm via Zoom. There being no other business, the board meeting ended at 4:31 pm.